In Sachica you will be able to see the most complete Pliosaur dinosaur fossil in the world. This place is famous for being an impressive paleontology center. In fact, there are only 2 Pliosaur fossils in the world. That’s awesome, right?
The tour begins showing the beauty of the town and the impressive history of the Colombian colonization. Then we start a walk to the valley where each fossil and rock has a history, an explanation, and an interesting fact. On the other hand, you will also see the farmers of the region in their daily life, which is also something unique that you will have the opportunity to understand through this tour. We will reach the Pliosaur. Javier will tell you everything in detail so that you will be fascinated with the stories and information.
This is a tour for me if I…
- Am curious about paleontology and want to see an actual fossil camp with an actual dinosaur.
- Like experiences that create a bond with the local guide and the community.
- Feel comfortable with active trekking.
Highlights of the experience:
Why choose this tour: Dinosaur fossil Colombia?
- Sachica is located in a place very famous for its colonial architecture and beauty. It is very easy to go to Villa de Leyva, which is listed as one of the most beautiful villages in Colombia, from here.
- This place is completely for you. Tourism in this area is only for people looking for an alternative and interesting experience, such as the history of fossils and dinosaurs in the area.
- Javier is the tourist leader of Sachica, he is a historian in love with his country and all the beauty it has. He has been connected during the process of identification and excavation of the pliosaur and more fossils. He will take you through this story in a spectacular way and the information you will receive from him is simply great.
- Behind the tour, there is healthy tourism, wanting to protect the area, the river and the nature reserves. Therefore, if you support Javier with this tour, you also support the nature of Colombia.
- DepartureCentral park Sachica
- Departure TimePlease arrive by 7:30 am for a prompt departure at 8:00 am.
- Return TimeAround 13:00 pm
- Dress CodeCasual, comfortable athletic clothing, walking shoes, hat and light jacket.
- IncludedDinosaur fossilSafety insuranceSnacksPersonal Guide
- Not IncludedAll transportation (from start point to end point)AccommodationDinnerLunchEntry FeesBreakfast
What is included:
- Local snack and drink included
- Meals: not included
- Javier, the local guide, can give you the best recommendations to have a delicious lunch in the town.
Transportation:You will have to arrive by yourself in Sachica. It is very easy:
- By car from Bogota (2 hours and 30 min): Take the road to Tunja-Samaca-Villa de Leyva.
- Reach Sachica with public transportation:
- From Bogota, go to the bus terminal and look for the area with direction to Tunja. Take a direct bus to Sachica with a duration of approximately 3 hours.
- From Villa de Leyva, go to the transport terminal (village entrance) and take a bus to Sachica for about 10 minutes.
- Sports and spare clothes in case you want to swim in the hot springs.
- Protection against the sun, preferably a hat.
- It's very important to stay hydrated so bring a bottle of water.