Sumapaz, Natural tour in Bogota
This natural tour in Bogota will take you to one of the most special ecosystems on the planet: the “Paramo”. Our local host Juan will show you the contrast between the edge of the city and the beginning of the natural side of Bogota. During this tour, you will observe beautiful lakes and the special fauna from the paramo. We strongly believe that being in the city doesn’t mean you can’t have a natural tour.
Juan is accepted by the community who is very protective of the paramo. Unfortunately, unconscious tourism is contaminating and damaging the paramo. During this natural tour in Bogota, Juan will explain to you the unique situation of the paramo. Only 3 countries in the world have this ecosystem.
Why choose this natural tour in Bogota?
- Paramos only exist in 6 countries in the world, one of them is Colombia. Don’t lose the opportunity to see this outstanding ecosystem.
- 100% of the natural tour uses public transportation and local roads, to get you closer to the real culture.
- Delicious typical snacks will be provided during the natural tour, You will visit only local businesses and meet local people.
- Juan will take you to see the most beautiful waterfalls and lakes in the park.
- The tour will include an explanation about the fauna and flora and the importance of this ecosystem.
- In the paramo, the air is very pure, hence visiting this place gives an extra refreshing and healthy feeling.
Good to know before the natural tour:
- What is a paramo: High mountain ecosystem, which is located between the upper limit of the Andean forest and the lower limit of glaciers. It is known as the dwarf forest because its vegetation is generally low and shrubby forests.
- Why are the paramos important?
- They are vital ecosystems to maintain water cycles because they allow the transformation of the mist into a water resource that in turn generates the birth of lakes and rivers.
- More than 4,700 species of plants are located Inside of the paramos. Although they are just less than 3 % of the country’s territory, the paramos house 17 % of the country’s flora diversity.
- Paramos are key to fight against climate change. The plants in the paramo capture high quantities of carbon which balance the warming of the planet.
Highlights of the natural tour in Bogota, Sumapaz Paramo
- DepartureEntrance of El Campin stadium- Transmilenio bus entrance ( Carrera 30 y Calle 57, Bogotá,)
- Departure TimePlease arrive by 7:00 AM for a prompt departure at 7:30 AM.
- Return TimeApproximately 3:30 PM
- Dress CodeCasual, comfortable athletic clothing, trekking shoes, hat and a warm and waterproof jacket.
- IncludedSumapaz, Natural tour in BogotaAll transportation (from start point to end point)SnacksLunchEntry FeesPersonal Guide
- Not IncludedSafety insuranceAccommodationDinnerBreakfast