Prices might change with the group size.
River adventure close to Medellin
Just 3 hours from Medellin it is possible to experience amazing river adventure in San Luis. This place is known as a natural escape from the city of Medellin. Trekking is a perfect activity to do, as it has a very low difficulty and you have the opportunity to swim in the turquoise waters of the river and enjoy its natural settings.
This river adventure is done by friendly locals willing to teach you the most beautiful in their region. They will guide you along the river, explain the different natural scenarios and also the fauna and flora. Each natural pool has a different story to tell. It is simply spectacular.
Why choose this tour?
- This river adventure is the perfect moment to refresh your mind and connect your body with the energy of nature.
- The experience is about trekking all the way next to the river and visit more than 7 different natural swimming pools.
- The lunch is a typical picnic in the middle of nature, just as the locals do it.
- This a natural escape from the city. This beautiful trekking in the river is located just 30 minutes from Medellin y you can easily go by bus.
- During one day it is possible to enjoy different amazing activities, trekking, rappel, and the unique attraction canyoning.
- Every tourist visiting is new hope for the river. Tourism is the only reason holding back the construction of hydroelectric plants.
Interesting facts about San Luis
- San Luis is located 3 hours from Medellin and is known as the water paradise of Antioquia.
- The river “Dormilon” means the sleepy river, not because it has calm waters, but because of the trees that are found on the entire edge of the river.
- The community of San Luis has struggled for several years to protect the river since large companies want to build hydroelectric plants.
- This river is a symbol of unity since people from all social situations come to the river to make the famous “Paseo de olla” which means cooking a soup next to the river. It doesn’t discriminate where you are from or the color of your skin, just everyone enjoys the beautiful river.
- DepartureCentral park San Luis
- Departure TimePlease arrive by 8:30 AM for a prompt departure at 9:00 AM.
- Return TimeDepends on the start time
- Dress CodeCasual, comfortable athletic clothing, walking shoes, swimming dress and dry clothes.
- IncludedRiver adventureAll transportation (from start point to end point)SnacksLunchEntry FeesPersonal Guide
- Not IncludedSafety insuranceAccommodationDinnerBreakfast
Start point: Central Park San Luis
Stop 1: 4 different natural swimming pools
Stop 2: Biggest natural swimming pool and waterfall
Stop 3: Lunch
- To get to San Luis from Medellin, by public bus you need to leave from Terminal Norte, and find the kiosk for Flota Granada, they are at wicket 17 on the ground floor of the terminal.
- A ticket each way costs 20000cop ($8.64CAD/5.56EU), it can change from year to year.
- You will need to be on the 6 am bus (they leave hourly). The bus ride is about three hours on an interesting public bus, which will get crowded, so be sure to get your seats ahead of time.
- You can't book passage on the bus any further than one day in advance, and tickets can only be purchased, with cash, from the ticket office in terminal del norte in Medellin.
- As soon as you arrive you will want to book your return passage (if that is your plan) for the 5pm bus, which is the last of the day.